Running concurrent to the Afrika Handmade Symposium is the two week Gallery event that will feature the best of Kenya’s contemporary handmade and design products.
Partnering with over 15 designers and artisans from Kenya, the gallery will feature two floors of home decor solutions for the urban, trendy home.
Featured among the exhibitors are the East African members of Design Network Africa (DNA), a design-focused platform funded by the Danish Centre for Culture and Development (CKU) and coordinated by Source. They include Adele Dejak, Bud Design, Sky Decor all based in Nairobi, Mutapo Pottery (Harare) and Uganda Crafts (Kampala).
Opening on the evening of 30 September and running till 16 October 2015, the “Modern Rustic Living” themed showcase will seek to demonstrate how you can furnish your entire home with high quality furniture, soft furnishings, floor rags, lighting and objet d’art conceptualized and created in Kenya.
Objectives of the Gallery
- To offer a fresh perspective of the artisan and design sector
- To give cause to the ‘buy Kenya, build Kenya’ policy initiative
- To position the creative industry and handmade design in particular as a viable driver of the economy
- To facilitate the sharing of ideas, resources and collaborative opportunities between various stakeholders
- To provide an opportunity for exhibiting designers and artisans to collaborate
- An inclusive, strong and committed network of stakeholders
- Increased public awareness of locally made contemporary artisanal and design brands
- A critical mass of sustainable MSMEs with the artisan and design sector
- Increased attention on Kenya’s creative economy by both the public and private sector
Participating at the Gallery showcase
Participation is by invitation only and we are in the process of identifying and approaching designers and artisans who, through their design aesthetic, respond to the theme of the gallery showcase.
There are no charges to exhibit, nor to visit the gallery.
There is basement parking available at KEMU Towers (just a few meters away from Alliance Francaise). It is situated next to Hazina Towers building, Utalii lane. For directions, click here.
We have planned a series of activities during the 2 week gallery to allow as many stakeholders as possible to experience the showcase. If you would like a (free) guided tour, mark the dates 2nd, 9th and 14th, 1-2pm. Alternatively, if you would just like to browse by yourself, the gallery will be open 7 days a week, from 7:30 – 7:30 pm.
* AF – Alliance Francaise, Nairobi
[table id=1 /]